Monday, August 24, 2009

Convention '09

Sunday, August 23, 2009
Convention '09
". . . the best people and
the stoutest souls in the world . . ."
- Mike Ferner
Never been to a convention before. Heard about 'em often enough; I'd formed a few opinions: a large gathering of people from around the country (or state or world), a lotta speechs and meetings, funny hats and boisterous behavior, good opportunity to meet, drink, push agendas, settle scores, pick up bumperstickers, act like a fool . . . I was filled with prejudices and misconceptions.
But I'd been scorched by the emotional intensity of the Winter Soldier Hearings, March 13-16, 2008. As Security volunteer, I found myself part of the biggest and truest thing happening in America those four days. My particular job was small and anonymous, but I walked with heroes those days. My life was changed in ways marchs and vigils, signs and slogans could not match.
So I went to the Convention for the fellowship . . . and maybe to read a few poems. In a time when even political victory doesn't seem good enough, I went to rekindle my spirit, revive my dedication. I went looking for those heroes.
And in the hallways and meeting rooms, the food court and lit room, I found them . . . guys like Paul Brailsford, Englishman, Massachusetts VFP, activist and poet, who went to sea in 1932 at age 16, stood the lonely watchs as a deck officer in the Pacific during World War II and at age 93 remains a stalwart voice for peace and justice . . . and Suel Jones the Marine rifleman from Texas and the Vietnam War, who now divides his time between Alaska and Vietnam, went from oilfield machinist to gifted memoirist and friend to the Vietnamese people . . . and the service brats: Deborah Forter, Navy, M.F.S.O.'s new leader and Donna Edwards, Air Force, Maryland's new Congresswoman. Dragged around the world as service kids are, these eloquent women learned at an early age to love the warrior and hate the war . . . and everywhere I turned, there was Carlos - just like at Winter Soldier - a curly-haired Saint Everyman, tirelessly holding heaven and earth together, his presence our whole meaning, his tragedy our fight . . .
The names and faces go on and on, anchored by a corps of Vietnam veterans and their good spouses, enriched by those of other eras and re-affirmed by the strong, young faces of the men and women of the Afghan and Iraq Wars.
Days later, outside the Teaneck Armory, at our four year old vigil, Chapter 21 Prez Ken Dalton regaled the watchstanders with tales of conventions and conventions to come. Ken once lived up in Portland, Maine, had , like the rest of us - Nancy and Paula, Barry, Fallon, Hancock, the Drozds - a great time at '09. I interrupted him to ask, what's Portland, driving time from Jersey? 'Bout six hours. Next year I thought. Sounds good.
- Walt Nygard August 23, 2009

2 comments:

PaulaPeaceNOW said...

Great article Walt! Thanks so much to you and Nancy for your friendship.

John Fenton said...

Hi Walt,
A wonderful article and I want to also thank you and Nancy for your friendship. When I first considered going public with Matthew's story, I had a great deal of fear. I can remember standing with you and Ken and other members of VFP and that fear dissolved. I felt that if you guys who have all served the country were there for me then I had nothing to fear from anyone. I may have taken that a bit too far outside of the Winter's Soldier in NYC that evening but they were just a gaggle of geese. What I am trying to say is thank you for being there through some dark days.Bridget and I will never forget you all. John